The Walker Memory Center is intended to respond to the concerns and needs expressed by patients and their families regarding changes in memory, thinking and behavior.
State-of-the-science evaluation and intervention services reflect the latest strategies to help improve or maintain cognitive and functional abilities, delay functional decline, and promote well-being and quality of life.
Who needs a memory evaluation?
Many people worry about whether the memory changes they notice — in themselves or someone they care about — are a result of normal aging, or something more serious. A comprehensive evaluation answers this question.
Signs That a Memory Evaluation Is Warranted:
- Frequent repetition of questions
- Increased frequency of misplacing things
- Missing appointments
- Withdrawal from social activities
- Difficulties in conversation – difficulty finding words or losing the train of thought
- Problems with driving – disorientation, getting lost, bumps and scrapes, driving too slowly
- Memory changes that disrupt daily life—difficulty keeping track of finances or medications
There are many possible causes of changes in memory and thinking — such as vascular disease, sleep apnea, depression, medication side effects, Alzheimer’s disease, and many more.
It is important to understand the cause of a problem in order to treat it correctly. If you are concerned about yourself or someone you care about, early, accurate diagnosis is the first step towards appropriate treatment.